It seems Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom just released in theaters a couple weeks ago, but Universal have revealed that the home video release will roar into households in a little over 1-month!
Releasing on digital September 4th, and physical disc September 18th, Fallen Kingdom will be the must own movie closing out Summer. One of the most exciting parts of the home release of any Jurassic film (other than being able to watch it whenever you want) is of course the plethora of new special features, revealing the behind the scenes fun and magic which brought the latest dinosaur film to life.
Check out the special features listed below, and then take a look at the options available to pre-order now. (Note: the special edition available only at Target has an additional 30 minutes of special features, not listed below).
Special features on ALL formats (4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, Digital, and DVD):
- On Set with Chris & Bryce – Go behind the scenes with Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard.
- Birth of the Indoraptor – An inside look at the genetically designed monstrosity known as the Indoraptor.
- Death by Dino – Go behind the scenes as the Indoraptor faces off with a key character.
- Monster in a Mansion – Director J.A. Bayona discusses how Jurassic Park and Dracula (1979) influenced his approach to directing the monster in a mansion scene.
- Rooftop Showdown – A look at the terrifying showdown on the rooftop of the Lockwood Mansion.
- Malcolm’s Return – Behind the scenes with the one & only Jeff Goldblum.
- VFX Evolved – The team at ILM discuss their cutting-edge approach to creating dinosaurs.
- FALLEN KINGDOM: The Conversation – Filmmakers and cast sit down for a candid and casual conversation about Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
- A Song for the KINGDOM – Justice Smith sings for the cast and crew of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
- Chris Pratt’s Jurassic Journals
- Vivian Baker, Makeup Artist
- Mary Mastro, Hair Stylist
- Chris Murphy, 1st Assistant Sound
- Dean Bailey, Stunt Edge Car Driver
- Peter Harcourt, Diver
- Daniella Pineda and Justice Smith, Actors
- Jody Wiltshire, Set PA
- Kelly Krieg, Assistant Script Supervisor
- J.A. Bayona, Director
- James Cox, Stunt Performer
- Rachelle Beinart, Stunt Double
- Bryce Dallas Howard interviews Chris Pratt, Actor
- · JURASSIC Then and Now – Presented by Barbasol® – Key moments from the Jurassic saga that tie into Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
Special Features exclusively available on HD formats (4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and Digital):
- The KINGDOM Evolves – Filmmakers discuss how the second chapter in the Jurassic World trilogy pushes the franchise in a new direction.
- Return to Hawaii – Cast and crew discuss shooting the film in Hawaii.
- Island Action – A behind-the-scenes look at the bunker scene and runaway gyrosphere sequence.
- Aboard the Arcadia – Cast and crew discuss working with the animatronic dinosaurs.
- Start the Bidding! – A behind-the-scenes look at the auction scene.
Exclusive 28 Page Gallery Book + 30 Mins of Exclusive Bonus Content with purchase
All 5 Jurassic Films in limited edition packaging
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (BestBuy Exclusive SteelBook)
Exclusive, Collectible Steelbook Packaging with purchase
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Walmart Funko Pop Exclusive)
Exclusive Limited Edition Giftset includes Exclusive Funko Pocket POP! Keychains of Owen and Blue
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (standard edition)
Available on 4K, 3D, Blu-ray and DVD
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom is also available on other digital platforms – see the list here.
Sadly, the special features do not include deleted scenes, commentaries, or other behind the scenes content that offers a deeper look into the filmmaking magic. It’s a bit saddening knowing the Jurassic Journals, content made for the web and already released online, are taking up disc space that could have been dedicated to new content, and a bit worrying after the slightly lackluster Jurassic World special features which felt more like extended YouTube featurettes.
However, there is plenty of new content to be excited for (particularly the Target special features, which are still unknown) and I cannot wait to go hands on with the home release. With that in mind, I would happily purchase a later release that goes deeper into the special features the way films and franchises such as The Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Peter Jackson’s King Kong, Harry Potter, and Star Wars are known for. Jurassic, while on the same level as those franchises, has greatly lacked in the quality content akin to their home entertainment offerings.
Time will tell how deep the Blu-ray features dig in, but I’m sure no matter what they’ll be a wild, dinosaur infested ride.
What version of Fallen Kingdom will you be picking up? Sound off in the comments below, and as always, stay tuned for the latest news!