With 2018 marking the 25th anniversary of Jurassic Park, Universal Pictures are ensuring fans don’t go without this year! It was recently revealed that all four Jurassic Park movies would be receiving the 4K treatment, with the release of a new Blu-Ray collection this May.
An exciting announcement none the less, but many were left wondering how exactly the film will be transferred to 4K – for lack of a better word. There were a few concerns that the films would be upscaled from the HD prints/versions, meaning they would not be true 4K.
Luckily for us however, it sounds like the Jurassic Park 4K release will be true 4K, having been scanned from the original camera negatives!
Universal Pictures confirmed this with us, detailing the process:
4K Restoration conducted by Universal Pictures with restoration services provided by NBCUniversal StudioPost
ARRI scan at 4K resolution from the original camera negative
4K workflow with High Dynamic Range color correction
This is great news for fans and movie buffs alike – never before will Jurassic Park have been watched at this quality, but better yet, the transfer will likely be closest to the original colour that was played in theatres back in 1993, closer than any release we’ve had before!
It’s important to note that due to way film-making and the technology behind it evolves, not every movie in this franchise will be archived by the studio in the same format, meaning the transfer for each movie could differ.
But one thing is for certain: this release will allow you to watch the Jurassic Park franchise like never before!
Unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be any new bonus features attached to this release. The press release states:
Available for the first time ever in 4K Ultra HD featuring newly remastered versions of the films, the collection also includes Blu-ray and Digital via the all-new MOVIES ANYWHERE app. This special anniversary collection features premium book-style packaging and is packed with hours of bonus content including deleted scenes, storyboards, revealing interviews and behind-the-scenes featurettes that make this a must own film for everyone’s library.
Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Collection will be available on 4K Ultra HD in a combo pack which includes 4K Ultra HD Blu-rayTM, Blu-rayTM and Digital. The 4K Ultra HD disc will include the same bonus features as the Blu-rayTM version, all in stunning 4K resolution.
And in regards to bonus features:
BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE:
• Return to Jurassic Park: 6-Part Documentary – This six-part documentary features interviews with the many of the cast members from all three films, the filmmakers and Steven Spielberg.
• Welcome to Jurassic World – An in-depth take on the creation, look and feel of Jurassic World. Director Colin Trevorrow and Steven Spielberg discuss how the idea of the film came together and how the casting was decided with actors’ commentary on their roles and filming locations.
• Dinosaurs Roam Once Again – Behind the scenes look at the making of Jurassic World’s visual effects, how the dinosaurs came to life, and actors filmed scenes.
• Jurassic World: All-Access Pass – Chris Pratt and Director Colin Trevorrow discuss key moments in the film, supported by behind-the-scenes footage and VFX breakdowns.
• Deleted Scenes
• And Over Forty Additional Bonus Featurettes from All Four Films!
The Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Collection releases May 22nd and will retail at $79.98 (although it is currently $49.96 on Amazon!). This will be an 8-disc collection with each 4K film on their own disc, and the bonus features on another.
How excited are you to see Jurassic Park like never before? Let us know in the comments section below, and be sure to stay tuned to Jurassic Outpost for more!